Sounds Spooky Workshop
Duration: 1 hour
Number of students: max 60
Ages: years K-6
Sarah will use 'Sounds Spooky' to demonstrate how an illustrator interprets a text and creates a visual narrative.
- Interactive reading of the text using voice and rhythm to create a spooky soundscape.
- Take a behind-the-scenes look at the innovative sculptural technique that Sarah used to produce the illustrations - see how the 3D models were created and how the images were digitally manipulated. Sarah will show actual models, rough drawings, working drawings, and process photos.
Workshop Component: Design a Haunted House
Sarah will guide students through designing and sketching a cut-away view of a haunted house and the characters that live inside. Students will learn how to draw interiors in three dimensional perspective, and how to create visual narratives.
As a group, students invent a story about a bat, spider, or other spooky animal, and direct Sarah while she produces a ten minute pastel drawing, which will be donated to the school.
Students will need:
- A sharp pencil and an eraser
- A4 paper
- Clipboard, deskspace or floorspace to lean on.
Sarah will need:
- A smartboard or dataprojector with sound
- A microphone
- A whiteboard
- A private room/library/hall with space for students to spread out and draw
It helps for students to be familiar with the Fearless books - please read them with you students if you have a chance.
To help you prepare or for follow-up lessons:
Visit the Sounds Spooky website to view the trailer, tell a spooky joke, download the teacher's notes and other resources.