Illustrating Picture Books - General Talk
Duration: 1 hour
Number of students: max 300
Ages: years K-6 (Suitable for a whole school group, but most suitable for years 2-6)
- How a picture book is created, from first idea through to publication
- What's special about picture books?
- How an illustrator works:
- interpreting the text
- generating ideas for character and narrative
- processes and techniques used to create the final images
Sarah will show examples of her own work, including rough working drawings and original paintings.
As a group, students are guided to invent a story and direct Sarah while she produces a ten minute pastel illustration, which will be donated to the school.
Sarah will need:
- A smartboard or dataprojector with sound
- A microphone
- A whiteboard
It helps for students to be familiar with Sarah's books - please read them with your students if you have a chance.